Fever Screening for Elevated Body Temperatures
COVID-19 has changed the way everyone is doing business. Infrared febrile (fever) scanning is recommended for employers to allow admittance into their facility for employees and visitors as noted in the Opening America Again document released by the Federal Government in April 2020. Infrared – A Closer Look Inc. is here to help.
The challenges for Infrared Thermography is complying with the numerous federal and international guidelines. The FDA waived their 510K compliance requirements for prior marketing permission for manufacturers and requirement for a “LHQ” label on the IR equipment.
This opens the door for non-listed equipment to be sold on the open market. Almost any Infrared equipment can be sold to assist in the new Federal recommendations. There are only two companies that had 510K certification, but dozens of companies that are offering Infrared cameras. This certification requirement can be reinstated at any time after this pandemic crisis passes.
National and International Standards exist
There are other national and international standards that are in place to establish how these Infrared Febrile Scans are performed and minimal equipment requirements. These recommendations have not been waived; however, these standards are considered voluntary with 510K requirements temporarily waived. These standards, ISO/TR 13154 and IEC – 80601-2-59 have recommendations that require 320 x 240 IR detector array for accuracy, equipment temperature tolerances, face size on the scan area, black body implementation to improve scanning accuracy and integrated software and a repeatable process to verify validity of the scan.
Long Delays in getting fever scanning equipment
There are long back orders on most camera systems, so your startup options are limited in the short term. Infrared-A Closer Look Inc. is trying to balance the needs of our clients, their budget for Infrared equipment that already has compliance with ISO/TR 13154 and IEC-80601-2-59…. or will have equipment before the 510K certification is reinstated. Our priorities for helping you to keep your workplace safe with an effective Fever Screening process in place.
IACL thermographic priorities are as follows.
- 320 x240 (or larger) Infrared detector using Long Wave IR Camera
- Equipment accuracy of 0.5° C or better
- Integrated software with semi autonomous function or Artificial Intelligence (AI) for face recognition capability to minimize inaccurate readings not from face area.
- Black body integration or plans for a Black Body integration in the hardware / software package.
- Manufacturer and Equipment reliability
- Screening Line / Scanning station / kiosk needs
- Buy American equipment is also a priority for us. We consider priority trade offs for your budget constraints and time requirements for an in-place program. Equipment manufactured in the United States is more expensive and have longer backlog times
Infrared – A Closer Look can provide that support through a consulting contract and our connection with Infrared equipment manufacturers and Infrared trainers. We have a Level III Thermographer on staff who can
- review your facility to minimized the cost for equipment,
- develop your Infrared scanning program,
- get your equipment purchased and set up at your facility
- then follow up with periodic calibration checks on your equipment and ongoing progress of your program.
Download our COVID-19 Planning document for more information about preparing to reopen you business. Our consulting service includes a Policy development document to ask questions that can guide you in formulating your policy for your specific business. This Appendix C document is free with no charge to churches and houses of worship. We hope and pray that is helps you safely reopen your church.
Infrared – A Closer Look wants to be your consultant for your Fever Scanning needs. Give us a call today at 940-891-3803. Sometimes you really need A Closer Look.
Request a free meeting on reopening your business after COVID-19
Fortifying your business workplace to be safe and stable has a lot of considerations that you need to make before you reopen. We have a program solution to help you make those decisions to keep your team members healthy and productive in your workplace using fever scanning. Schedule a free online meeting today to learn more about our program and how we can help you to stay in compliance with the Reopen America Guidelines.